
I love my husband. I really do. But sometimes...the personality traits that come with being a male...are the things I am not so fond of. Let me enlighten you on our conversation last night (or should I say this morning since it was 1 am).
Jason: "Honey..just come to bed...you know you're not going to take a shower"
Me: "whatever..." (that's one of my favorite blanket statements when I don't have anything better to say). I then go to take my shower (we shower at night because I'm too lazy to do to it in the morning...probably way too much information for everyone I know...sorry).
As I hastely grab my things & turn on the shower I do something (not on purpose....well at least not this time) that drives Jason up the wall. I have this odd quirk about not shutting the shower door when I turn the water on. I don't like to shut closet doors all the way either. I know it sounds odd but I hate the sound that it makes. So I always just barely shut them so they are about 1/2 an inch from being completely closed. The shower door is no exception. However, Jason does not like it because it get a little bit of water on the floor. Big deal right? That's what rugs are for. We have had this talk a few times in the past couple weeks. I have tried to change my ways but can't seem to shake this habit. Well..at 1 in the morning (and mind you still staying off the pain meds & feeling rather achey and full of pain) I was a bit grumpy to say the least. So...the conversation continues (as Jason is 1/2 asleep lying in bed).
Jason: please shut the shower door. You know how I feel about that.
Me: "Are you kidding me? Seriously. Can't you find something meaningful to nag me about? I think I'm just going to leave this shower door wide open for you from now on."
Jason: snoring at this point...realizing it is a battle he has lost for the night.
Well...it's a scary thing when I'm left alone in the shower with my own thoughts & no one bugging me. I decided to play the game right along with him....because let's be honest - there are so many things guys do that are completely irritating that we most likely never say anything about or maybe we do...with no results. Battles we have tried to win for years but to no avail...still nothing changes.
This morning:
Jason: "Good morning honey! You're welcome for feeding the kids breakfast while you slept."
Me: "Yeah...that's great honey. Thank you. So you know what? Last night...while you were sleeping I was thinking and that means..."it's not going to be in your favor" dear. I was thinking that since you seem to care so much about the dumb shower door being shut that I would start caring about some things that you don't do.
1. Let's start with the medicine cabinet...apparently your arm and hand become suddenly paralyzed when it comes to shutting the medicine cabinet because I seem to be shutting it 3-4 times a day.
2. The lotion...the lotion that gets taken out 3 times a day and left out on the bathroom counter along with the linen closet door that never gets shut. Yeah...would you mind putting that away and shutting the door while your at it?
3. You know when you eat in the morning...you're so good to rinse out your cereal bowl & set it on the counter 1 inch away from making it into the dishwasher? Would you mind taking 2 seconds extra to actually put it in the dishwasher?
4. Your socks. Let's talk about this for a minute. Your socks that make it to the closet, on the floor right in front of the laundry basket. I'm wondering if you think they are going to jump in there on their own? Would you mind actually putting them in the dirty laundry instead of on the floor in front of the dirty laundry?
5. When you come home & take your jacket off...I'm so grateful it doesn't end up on the floor and ends up on the table chair. But I'm wondering if you could take a few extra steps to the closet close by & actually hang it up?
6....Would you like me to go on or have I proven my point?
In my family we call this "the grapefruit syndrome". Hopefully all of you have heard this story, but in case you haven't let me enlighten you. The story is of a wife and husband who have been married for a few years. The wife came to the husband and said she had read it was important for a husband and a wife to make a list of things that bother them about their partner and talk about it. (where in the world did she get that information?!!!) So the husband agreed and she went first. She proceeded to tell him that she hated the way he ate grapefruit. He did it all wrong and it was just too much for her to bear watching him eat it the "wrong" way. when she was done ridiculing him for the way he ate his grapefruit, she told him it was his turn to which he replied "there isn't anything about you that I would change. I love you just the way you are." (where did this guy come from..seriously?!) The point of the story is that we (especially women) stress and nag over the dumbest things. Things that don't matter. I consider all of the things listed above that I might let bother me but I don't let it get to me. Jason is my team mate...my partner. We do everything together and he helps me so much. He works hard and does so many things without even having to be asked. So why would I let these little stupid things bother me? I don't. That my friends...was the point I was trying to make to my husband. I think I made myself pretty clear.
I am hoping tonight...when I leave shower door wide open. He'll have the smarts to keep quiet. LOL! I'll keep you posted. :-)

2 comments:
You crack me up! Oh of course i have a long list of things too!! Don't we all! But good thing I married to by best friend and know that he is STUCK with me too! Lol
this is too funny!
Just this week I asked Bryan to shut the shower door while he warmed up the water!!!! AHHH!
Too funny!
You make a great point.
Post a Comment